Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Day one, post one, all that good stuff.

So, for those of you who happen to stumble upon this, this is a blog of my thoughts and commentary on AmSt (or DTC) 475, Digital Diversity, at WSU, summer 2010. Per Shawn's instructions, I won't hold back in critiquing anything, so if you're a classmate reading this, I'm really not very sorry at all for ripping your idea apart.

There were three big things that came up in the class that made me wince - the phrases "patriarchy", "white privilege", and "white people". Not to prejudge this course, but in my experience, when they come up with relation to a discussion on culture, they're huge, brightly-colored warning flags that someone is about to start ranting. I really have no desire to be told (yet again) that I'm a horrible person because I happen to be white, upper-middle-class, and Christian, especially not in a forum where I will (potentially) be graded on how closely I pay attention, take notes, and agree with it.

Speaking of which (and this is aimed specifically at Shawn), yes, I take notes on my laptop. I'm not on Facebook, instant messenger, WoW, or what have you. You're welcome to make spot checks if you wish. I just learn a lot more thoroughly when I write things down, and I can type much faster and more legibly than I can scribble. If you'd like, I can switch to pencil and paper, but the laptop is my preferred writing platform.

Being the free-form Wikipedia surfer that I am, I'd stumbled upon the idea of the Panopticon before, albeit without considering its social implications. I'm already looking forward to the discussion tomorrow (or later today, as the clock ticks), so I'll put off most of my discussion on it until then. However, this much was a possibly obvious insight: Society at large is a panopticon of sorts.

And I think that covers most of what I wanted to say...

1 comment:

  1. Good Morning,
    We will cover this more in class, but Patriarchy and White Privilege are both concepts that derive from hierarchal structures. We will cover them in more depth as the class moves forward. We will also cover what is commonly referred to as "White Guilt", and it is not at all going to aid the discussion. You aren't a bad person by merit of the positions that you were born into, that isn't the point. The point is that the way that the interlocking systems that we move through is structured is largely to benefit people who fit the profile you lay out...what you do with your positionality is up to you.

    As far as White People, I use the term as typology that describes the Euro and not so Euro people that tend to benefit from the system predicated on phenotype. Its a descriptive term, that is not intended to generate an emotive response. That said, I will see if I can find another term to use.

    Looking forward to class today.

    ~S~

    ~S~

    ReplyDelete